Camping is a tradition in our family. Nathan and his family have been going camping since he was a little boy and it is something that we have continued with our kids. Love is a strong word, but it is something that I thoroughly enjoy doing. We go twice a year usually, Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. Nathan’s brothers live in Pennsylvania and the rest of the family live in Tennessee so it is always great to catch up with family that we don’t get to see often.
This is my 6th year camping. One of my FAVORITE things about camping is Campfire Biscuits and Gravy. We sleep in tents and everything but we certainly don’t just roast hot dogs over the fire. We actually eat really well. My MIL is a pro at campfire cooking now. She’s been teaching me a little bit at a time though. I think I’ve mastered campfire biscuits at this point.
They are fried biscuits and we use our favorite Pioneer Brand Peppered Gravy because it’s easy and convenient. Another tip, take one of the biscuits and roll it in granulated sugar and you’ll have your very own Chinese doughnut.
Here’s the recipe. They don’t have to be made over a campfire. You certainly can cook them on the stove too. Hope you enjoy!
- A pan
- A campfire/stove
- 1 set of Tongs
- 4 cans Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits (the smaller ones)
- 1/2 cup of oil (your choice)
- A pot
- 2 packets of Pioneer Brand Peppered Gravy
- 4 cups of water
- 1. Lay the pan on the campfire.
- 2. Pour 1/2 Cup of the oil of your choice into the pan.
- 3. Lay biscuits in the pan.
- 4. Cook until brown on both side.
- 1. Bring 1½ cups of water to a boil.
- 2. Blend Gravy Mix with ½ cup of cool water. Mix or whisk until lump free. Set Gravy Mix blend aside.
- 3. Pour the Gravy Mix blend into the boiling water. Stir vigorously with a whisk until thickened.
- 4. Remove from heat.
- 5. Pour over biscuits.
- You don't need a campfire to make this recipe. You can make it on the stove too. If you have the opportunity, it should certainly be tried on a campfire.